Managing a server exclusively via SSH is a daunting task. Some administrators end up installing VNC for the purpose of having a GUI environment to work with.
Luckily for us, AKLWEB HOST has a View Console option!
AKLWEB HOST’s noVNC is a secure alternative to VNC, without the resource overhead, and with many more functions.
Installing GUI on Ubuntu
Follow these steps:
- Login to your VPS instance via the Linux terminal by executing
ssh@serverip. Alternatively, use the View Console on your manage area.
- Make sure that all of your packages and dependencies are up-to-date.
- Install the LXDE Minimalist package.
apt-get install -y lubuntu-core
Alternatively, if you have a more powerful VPS, and want a full-fledged desktop, then install the desktop package:
apt-get install -y lubuntu-desktop
- (Optional) You can install Firefox for browsing:
apt-get install -y firefox
- Reboot the machine by executing
- Click View Console again, you’ll see a desktop-like GUI environment.
- Login using
rootand your default provided password.
And that’s it! Now you can use your VPS to perform tasks with the help of a GUI. In addition to that, you can also use Firefox to browse the web using your VPS.